This is a very rich, dark hot chocolate. Chocolate in the 18th century was consumed mainly as a hot chocolate drink, and had evolved since the 17th century into something we would recognise today. This drink is based on recipes from the 1740s and still uses Long Pepper to add a hint of hot floral spice, with the warm citrus flavour of Cardamom.
1741 Hot Chocolate (Cardamom & Long Pep
(makes 12-20 small cups):
- Shake the bag well if you are not using the entire pack. The ingredients will settle in the bag.
- Put 1 tablespoon per person into a saucepan.
- Add 100 ml of milk per person.
- Slowly heat the saucepan over a medium heat, whisking continuously.
- Serve when the liquid starts to simmer.