A 17th century style rich hot chocolate mix, spiced with chilli and orange. Made with the finest chocolate (70% cocoa solids).
This hot chocolate recipe is based upon Antonio de Ledesma’s 1685 medicinal recipe for chocolate. Newly arrived from Central America, chocolate was only consumed as a drink, and this is one of the earliest European recipes. The chilli is still used, combined with the flavour of orange flower.
1685 Hot Chocolate (with Chilli & Orange)
(makes 12-20 small cups):
- Shake the bag well if you are not using the entire pack. The ingredients will settle in the bag.
- Put 1 tablespoon per person into a saucepan.
- Add 100 ml of milk per person.
- Slowly heat the saucepan over a medium heat, whisking continuously.
- Serve when the liquid starts to simmer.